Thursday, May 1, 2008

Geriatrics

Something that is totally different than I was before. Alhamdulillah, Allah had made my life so much easier even though it was hard at the beginning. Want to now my new rotation, GERIATRICS


At the moment, I am fine learning at the hospital despite I had so much difficulty with transportation. So far, I am used to it ( one an half hour traveling) as long as the people there are nice and helpful especially the registrar and intern. I am glad that I had so much opportunities to learn at that hospital, meet so many people and had chances to talk to them.They are always willing to talk to you no matter how bad their condition are. There is nothing more than that they wanted to do except being with someone that they can talk to. Being in Geriatrics unit, the main ideas that we were expected to learn are:

  • Instability - fall and fractures, polypharmacy, osteoporosis
  • Incontinence -stress and urge, polypharmacy
  • immobility - obesity, physiotherapy, osteoporosis
  • intellectual loss - dementia,AD, Parkinson, MMSE,
  • isolation- GDS
However, as a Muslim, it teach me so many things about how to portray ourself as a good daughter. No mater how much money that you put to give the best treatment and facilities to your parents in nursing home, it still would not be the same as the value of handworks that your parents had gone through to raise you until you become what you are now. Believe me, deep inside their hearts, I could feel the sorrow and loneliness being in the nursing care without grandson and granddaughter playing around them. What is more that they could ask for, other than being with their family members at the end of their life...


I pray to Allah, that I would be a good daughter who will take care of my parents as much as they care of me because that's what my religion taught me to do....That's what Islam ask me to practice.




No comments: